Monday, November 10, 2008

#71: Research and buy new foundation

Started 08/26/08
Completed 11/10/08

The first item up from the 101 things in 1001 days list is number 71: research and buy new foundation.

This quest, honestly, started about a year ago when I noticed that my then-current facial make-up wasn't doing all that I thought it should. In my usual fashion, I skipped on over to
Sephora, poked around a couple displays and then went back to my usual foundation. Wheee.

Now that I'm nearly out of that foundation (again), it's time commit myself to change. I've gone to Sephora and spent a good hour and a half with a make-up consultant poking at my face, resulting in four (4!) new foundations to try.
They are:
1. Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation, $40
2. LORAC Breakthrough Performance Foundation, $38
3. Smashbox High Definition Healthy FX Foundation, SPF 15, $38
4. Stila Illuminating Liquid Foundation, $38

Now that I have the samples, I'll try each one for as many days as the teeny sample pot allows and then make a decision on the winner.

Update:
This weekend, the husband and I went to Sephora armed with a 20% coupon to claim my new foundation. I picked the Stila Illuminating Liquid Foundation and it's fab. Embarrassingly enough, I'm in love with this facial product. It covers while still being sheer, it's dewy and glowy, and it's genius at evening out my skin. Also, it lasts all day (10+ hours) and even through a decent workout at the gym.

The other foundations that I tried were all very good, and I probably would have been satisfied with any of them if I had just plucked one off the shelf. Comparing them to each other, and trying them for several days, helped me figure out the pros and cons of each, and which of those were more important for my lifestyle.

In case anyone is interested, here are some pluses and minuses for the group:
1. Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation:
Pro: Good color, matte, lasts all day
Con: Too matte, not enough coverage
2. LORAC Breakthrough Performance Foundation:
Pro: Great color, matte, SPF included, lasts all day, good coverage
Con: Maybe a bit too matte for winter(Full disclosure: this was my #2 pick and I may pick it up for summer when I need less help in the glowy department for my skin.)
3. Smashbox High Definition Healthy FX Foundation:
Pro: Good coverage, SPF included
Con: Separated in my car on the drive home (ick), color off, didn't last all day, oily fast


No comments: