Saturday, December 13, 2008

Review: Entering my 29th year.

Better late than never, eh?

I love birthdays in general, but I love my birthday in particular for a few reasons. One, it's my birthday (durr). Two, it always falls around Thanksgiving, which is just the most bestest holiday ever. Three, celebrating my birthday means that Christmas is right around the corner, and that's the second most bestest holiday ever.

This year, my birthday fell on the day after Turkey day, so I got a free day off! Wheee!

On this most wonderful day, I woke up the Husband at the (according to him) woeful hour of 8:00am and dragged him to Home Depot for 99 cent poinsettas. How awesome is that? Then we puttered around, going to Hobby Lobby for Christmas decor and the Sprint store to stare at cell phones (I have a case of indecisionitis) and gazing at the crowds outside of Best Buy.

Then we went home for a nap. Naps are a fantastic luxury of days off from work. There are few things better than climbing back into bed mid-afternoon and snoozing lazily, and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Anyway, after napping, the Husband surprised me with a movie and dinner. Not just any dinner, mind you, but a surprise dinner at a fancy-pants steakhouse.

The surprise went like this:
(In car after movie, en route to downtown)
Me: So, where are we going?
Him: The dinner reservations are for eight, so I thought we'd get a drink before.
Me: Okay.
(Pulling up to fancy-pants steakhouse)
Me: (whispering) Are we eating here?
Him: No, we're just getting a drink and listening to music. We're going somewhere else for dinner.
(After ordering a full bottle of wine at 7:30pm)
Me: Um, there's no way we're going to finish this and make our reservation.
Him: Don't worry about it.
(At 8:00pm)
Him: (to cocktail waitress) Can you bring this to our table for us?
Me: (open-mouthed and wide-eyed) We *are* eating here!

And, thus, the Husband surprised the pants off of me, which is not an easy task. In fact, I think he's only managed to surprise me once before and that was for our engagement.

Continuing his fantastic birthday surprise, he ordered everything for me and it was all exactly what I would have chosen for myself. Escargot, seared tuna, filet mignon oscar, buckets of red wine, etc. Nom nom nom.

A few hours later, he guided me out to the car and we went home in a blissfully wine-and-food-induced haze.

The perfect way to spend my first day in my last year of the 20s. :-)

No comments: